- I am not married, do not make a lot of money, and do not own my own house.
- I work full time, so can I be a foster parent?
- My children are grown and out of the house. Am I too old to be a foster parent?
- I do not have any children of my own; do I need parenting experience?
- How can I make a difference when foster children have been through so much?
- Do I get any help once I decide to take a foster child?
- How does the foster child receive medical insurance?
- How do we get started?
- How much will I get paid to care for the foster children living in my home?
There are no age requirements (other than being at least 18 years old). Many "empty nesters' Find foster parenting to be a rewarding experience.
Children are amazingly resilient. Foster parents can make the difference by providing a structured, nurturing environment. We need to remember that these children will grow up to be adults in our society. How we respond to their needs now will largely determine what kind of citizens they will be in the future.
There is respite care for those times you need a break. And, in addition to the stipend you are paid for the care you provide, there are clothing vouchers available periodically throughout the year.
Richland County Children Services staff members are available 24/7 to support and assist our foster families.
Understand as a foster parent, you are initially making a temporary commitment to helping a child. You will be involved in a plan to help reunify your foster child(ren) with the family of origin. Adoption can only occur if RCCS receives a permanent custody order from the Richland County Juvenile Court.
If you are interested in becoming a foster parent, please complete the Foster / Adoptive Parent Inquiry for more information about the program. Please make sure to include your name, complete address, and phone numbers. You may also call 419-774-4100.
Licensed foster parents receive an initial purchase order for clothing for each newly placed foster child up to the amount of $250 based on need. You will get paid monthly, and the amount you receive depends on both the age and the needs of the child. See 2023 daily rates below:
Age Regular Special Exceptional GIFT Homes
0-12 $30 $40 $52 N/A
13-14 $35 $40 $52 N/A
15 -18 N/A N/A N/A $61